AA #12 - Mastering App Store Optimization
About This Episode
Dave Bell is the CEO of Gummicube, specializing in big data analytics for mobile marketing, and app store optimization. He also co-founded the mobile entertainment industry, creating Chasma, one of the first game publishers of branded, top-tier mobile entertainment in North America. Since Dave has been part of several executive teams and now is focusing his efforts on mobile app marketing.
Ways To Listen To This Episode
We have great content in this episode so don’t hesitate, click Play!
Our Guest Professor
Our guest for this episode is the CEO and Co-Founder of Gummicube, Dave Bell. Dave specializes in big data analytics for mobile marketing and App Store Optimization. He also founded Chasma, one of the first publishers of branded, top-tier mobile games in North America in 1999.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with our Guest Professor:
- 01:30 : Dave shared how he started in the industry at a young age and the successes that follow from launching the BREW platform at QUALCOMM’s 2001 conference; founding one of the first publishers of branded, top-tier mobile entertainment content in North America; launching two of the first five applications on the Verizon Wireless “Get It Now” service; co-founding Playphone; until the time that he started Gummicube.
- 06:48 : His geeky story of how he started from being a video gamer to what sparked his interest in specializing in mobile marketing.
- 11:04 : Dave explains why organic mobile marketing is the foundation of everything that you do, the sales channels that developers should be focusing on and a whole lot of valuable information regarding optimization, ranking, conversion and many more!
- 16:25 : A high level walkthrough of how you can nail the keywords to use for App Store optimization by determining the key features of your app, the key mistakes that people make which results to ASO failures, why ASO is the foundation of your app and why reiteration is important for your app.
- 21:18 : The concept of on page and off page content optimization and the components that you should look at when working on this; and Dave’s example of how developers can make mistakes in localizing or translating key words and phrases.
- 26:58 : How you can find out the typical amount of traffic and click through rates needed to prompt you to make iterations, and the considerations you have to make when you decide to remove key words.
- 34:22 : The insights that user reviews can bring you, the weight of reviews depending which platform you are on, Dave’s recommendations of whether or not to group iterations and or to plan release cycles and his other great advice in getting reviews that make you succeed.
- 41:03 : Why getting both quantitative and qualitative data from your end users are beneficial for your business and what decisions you should be making based on the data derived from your focus groups.
- 45:47 : Dave explains why analytics are important and the difference of success rates between just winging it and putting business practices in place, plus, top data analytics that Dave recommends looking at to determine your first round of iterations.
Rapid Fire Questions
Would you put more emphasis on the idea or the execution? How would you weigh each of them why?
Ideas are a dime a dozen and execution is what really determines whether a business becomes successful or not. In terms of emphasis, I would weigh 10% on idea and 90% on execution.
What is your biggest learning lesson on your journey so far?
Distribution is extremely important. No matter what great idea you have, if don’t have a platform or a fundamental understanding of how you are going to build your audience, you are probably not going to be successful.
What is your favorite business book?
What is your favorite mobile app resource?
What is your favorite app and why?
What is the coolest thing that you are working on right now that you want everyone to know about?
Data Cube AB. It is a system where we can launch a simulated page for the App Store and Google Play online to get data about click through and conversion rates before you launch.